Saturday 5 July 2014

Quarrel is quarrel.

Share it Please
Had a little small quarrel with The Husband today. We always do, but whenever my period is coming, I tend to feel REALLY angsty and emotional.

Today I had a strong craving for sweets. 

It was one of our main areas of friction when we first became a couple. I have a need to satisfy my sweet tooth. I found that since getting together with Suds, I missed the days of going out with my girlfriends walking around with a cuppa bubble tea in my hand, or my mum preparing for me a glass of mango lassi, or avocado shakes, or mini ice cream cones, or a plate of cut fruits such as dragonfruit or pear or apple post-dinner. Truly took those days for granted.

With the man, it was just steak and potatoes, and then that is it. No desserts, no nothing! I used to make him drive me out to buy milk tea, or chocolate frappe at 24-hour Macdonalds. You probably have no idea how comforting just for me to savour a freshly-made bowl or cup of processed sugar.

This week though, I did not have any store-purchased fresh desserts. Had two large servings of chocolate ice cream from the freezer tub when Suds was not around, twice. It was quite bad. No sweets, no sweet Janet. I was going to turn into a deprived monster. But he did not take the hints the whole of the weekend, at all! Chatime was closed, he did not want to go to South Bank's Cowch. We headed home and I asked him to make me chocolate lava cake. Alas we found out we ran out melting chocolate bits, and the supermarkets were all closed.

He told me to look up recipes, so I did. Like a bleating innocent lamb, I asked him "Suds, is dark chocolate ok?"..."Suds is bittersweet chocolate ok?" (I do not know what I was doing since I already laid down all kinds of chocolates we have all the kitchen bench and I was supposed to find a recipe with chocolate ingredients that does not state melting chocolate, i.e. he should look at the recipes himself).

AND THEN he said this. Albeit in bold fonts:
"Chocolate is chocolate. Dark chocolate is dark chocolate. Just like melting chocolate is melting chocolate, and chicken is chicken. OK?!?!?!?!?!!!!!"

At this point I felt like someone just slapped my face real hard for being an idiot. Like, my IQ is 0.1.

He could have just said, no I do not want to make you chocolate lava cake and you can stuff it, instead of making me run around taking out stuff from the pantries and searching frantically for recipes.

And then came the sadness- I missed the sweets I used to get in Singapore. I also missed the courtship times when he wooed me with bubble teas and chocolate shakes he made for me. I missed the simplicity of eating what I want, without feeling like a prisoner on a restricted menu.

I became like a recluse depressed girl staring at my phone, trying to stop tears rolling from the eyes.

I guess the heavy dark clouds hanging above me was so thick, he began to ask me what was wrong and then made the search for chocolate cakes himself and ultimately making one for me.

But this was not going to go down easy. He seriously thinks he can insult me, and then throw a chocolate cake at me and everything will be alright?

"Suds, do you want to sleep? Sleep is sleep. Bed is Bed." 

"Suds, heater is heater."

"Suds, do you want to watch TV? TV is TV. Breaking Bad is Breaking Bad."

"Suds, do you like my jumper? Jumper is jumper. I like it but I have to list it on eBay to make money. Money is money. Poor is poor."

Moral of story as end of blog post.

Annoying is Annoying. Quarrel is quarrel, But a wife scorned is, quite something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Follow The Author